Thursday, June 19, 2008

When I grow up, I want to be a doula.

doulaLast night, I attended the birth of a very close friend of mine. I was there as her doula, a support person who's main objective is to mother the mother, to provide emotional support during labor, and to help make the birth experience as wonderful as possible. This was the second time I've had such an honor, and even though I'm not certified yet, I hope to be in the next couple years or so. Birth has become a passion of mine, so becoming a doula just seems so natural to me. Last night I got to see just how strong women can be; it was truly amazing. Seeing as how it was only the second birth I have attended as a doula, I don't know how helpful I was, but I hope that my presence helped her and her husband to have the birth they hoped for!

Now I just need to wait for the next doula conference so I can attend. I had to miss the last one, and was so disappointed!


While I'm at it, I encourage anyone who is having a baby, or plans to have a baby to see this film. It has rocked the birthing world recently and is SUCH an awesome documentary. It really opens your eyes to what the medical community has done to the institution of birth. You'll definitely never view birthing in a hospital the same again. ;)

Business of Being Born

The Business of Being Born. (be sure to watch the trailer for the film)

No comments: